Have you ever been overwhelmed and stressed out – even with something you wanted? Last month, I shared that we sold our beautiful 5000 square foot condominium at Santa Maria. Even for a seasoned realtor like myself, I had my share of ups and downs through the process. Why? Because selling your property – your home with treasured family memories – is emotional.
- Set a purchase price range. Selling our home has now made us potential buyers and this was our first step.
- Create a list of your wants and needs. What is most important? Differentiate between what you absolutely can’t live without and what would be nice but not necessary.
- Hire a realtor you can trust. For our sale, I hired myself. I figured with 30 years of experience and my world-class negotiation skills, who else better to help me to find a property?!? My husband and I found a place pre-construction. The price, size, and time period for completion were all in perfect alignment with what we were looking for.
- Hire an attorney. We gave the contract to our attorney. She reviewed it and gave us her recommendations.
- Get pre-approved for a mortgage. Being pre-approved means the bank has checked out your financials and is ready to give you a loan. It reduces stress because you know you’re eligible and many sellers will only work with sellers who have gone through this process. Because we had sold our property, we had monies for the deposit. By the time the property is completed, I will have secured the best deal for my mortgage.